Thursday, March 20, 2014

The End of Week Two

Changes
             Someone many years ago said to me “The only constant in life is change.” I’m certain they were quoting someone else, and if I were inclined to look it up on the internet I’m equally certain it would give me an incorrect answer. It sounds an awful lot like something anybody could say and take credit for being the first to think it up. It doesn’t really matter. Life is not static. It is always in a state of flux. The sooner you accept that, the happier you will be.
             March 20 is the first day of spring. It seems only right to talk about change and its effect on my life. Aside from the obvious changes in weather and the blossoming flora, so much seems to be changing right now I can hardly keep up with it. My classes at Rockhurst are challenging, as is my class at Johnson County. Combined they occupy nearly all of my non-working, waking hours. And yet I still find time to work, albeit part time, and spend the occasional evening with my wife having our brain cells sucked from our skulls by the television.
            During one of our evenings together this last week, Bren asked me if my attending Rockhurst was the reason I decided to start going back to church. For those who don’t know, Rockhurst is a Jesuit University in Kansas City. I answered her as honestly as I could but the truth is I don’t think so, but maybe. Rather non-committal I admit, but I sincerely don’t know. There is nothing very spiritual about the classes or their content. The students are asked to reflect of the university’s mission statement and reflect on how its core values “seeks to make God’s good world better through learning, leadership, service, and the pursuit of justice.” The entire mission can be found at http://www.rockhurst.edu/about/points-distinction/jesuit-mission/ if you are so inclined to read it in its entirety rather than my paraphrasing. Truth be told, I don’t have a lot of time to think about such things. I’m busy enough trying to learn the content. But it is in the back of my mind.  So who can say?
            I believe it has more to do with the new pope. Popes change fairly rapidly. At least they do most of the time. My generation was spoiled. Pope John Paul II came to the papacy when he was young by church standards. He was only 58 years old and served for nearly twenty-seven years. When he died in 2005, my children had never known anyone else to hold that position. I had seen four different men serve as pope by the time I finished high school. The Blessed John Paul was something of a superstar to my generation.  He was a hard act to follow. On top of that poor Pope Benedict XVI inherited the sexual abuse scandals that came to light in the first decade of this century when he took up the mantle. When he stepped down in 2013 those problems had been dealt with. Our current pope, Francis, has had a much easier time of it. But he also appears to honestly be the humble servant of God that we have come to expect a pope to be. His words as well as his actions have been an inspiration to me. So maybe that is the reason.
            It could also be because I recently lost my mother. She and I were very close and not a day goes by that I don’t miss her terribly. She was the rock I clung to in times of trouble and now that she is no longer with us I miss her wisdom and guidance. It’s funny to write that now, knowing how much I complained about it growing up. I was lucky to have her as long as I did. She was only 35 when her father died and 39 when her mother passed away. My children spent much of their youth with her and even my grandchildren had the opportunity to meet her. She touched so many lives it’s hard for me to imagine a world without her in it.

            I’m not a big fan of change as you may have guessed. I like things that last. When I put something somewhere, I expect it to be there each and every time I need it. When I find something that works, I seldom vary from using that thing to achieve my goals. I have stated several times that I have not gone to mass in a very long time so it should come as no surprise that I am somewhat taken aback by the recent changes in the liturgy. The Catholic mass was something I fully expected to be a constant I could rely on. I know the changes made to the mass are nothing new to those who have been going for awhile. Apparently all these changes took place a few years ago. Those people have been regularly attending mass have had the opportunity to be warned of their existence, hear them, gripe about them, get used to them, and finally accept them. I, on the other hand, went directly to hearing them without any warning. I realize I don’t have much of a choice but to conform. I only ask that you put up with my complaining for a little while longer. I don’t suppose I’m feeling much different than those folks did back in 1965 following Vatican II when the church decided it no longer needed to recite the entire mass in Latin. I did do some Google searching and found a few .pdf files that will help me to get through these changes with a minimum of discomfort. Meanwhile I’ll continue to mumble during the difficult parts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment